Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA) is a standard used for giving and receiving patient information electronically. Failure to comply with the regulations can cause monetary or criminal penalties.
To comply with HIPAA practices, one must:
- Inform patients about their rights to privacy and how their information is used
- Have privacy procedures for employees to follow
- Teach employees the proper protocol when handling private information
- Assign a person to oversee that these rules are followed
- Ensure patient records are secure
Our attorneys can analyze your current compliance or implement a new process to be sure your privacy protection is flawless. Contact KWGD today for more information from one of our HIPAA compliance experts.