Richard E. Davis, CELA
Rick joined the law firm of Krugliak, Wilkins, Griffiths & Dougherty Co., L.P.A. in 1998. He chairs the firm’s Estate Planning and Elder Law practice groups. His focus is primarily in estate planning, elder law and special needs trusts.
Rick is a certified specialist in Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Law by the Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA). In addition, he is one of 19 attorneys in the state of Ohio designated as an OSBA Elder Law Specialist. Rick is also a Certified Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, as accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Active speaker at continuing education programs throughout the country, and has spoken at many of the country’s premier estate planning and elder law conferences on elder law and special needs trusts; including those of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, the American Bar Association, the American Bankers Association, the Uniform Law Commission, the University of Miami’s Heckerling Estate Planning Institute, New York Law School, University of Missouri’s Fratcher Estate Planning Institute, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Stetson University Special Needs Trusts Conference and many others
- Articles on elder law have appeared in various national publications, including: Estate Planning, Trusts & Estates, Probate and Property and the NAELA Journal
- College of Wooster, B.A., 1972
- The University of Southern California, M.A, 1973
- The University of Southern California, J.D., 1976
Notable Presentations and Publications:
- "What Estate Planners Need to Know about Special Needs Trusts; Ohio Uniform Power of Attorney Act"
- "Tips Every Estate Planner Needs to Know About Special Needs Trusts"
- "Ohio Statutory Power of Attorney -- Uniform Act"
- "Modification of Trusts under the Ohio Trust Code"
- "Skills Training for Estate Planners--SNTs, POAs and Guardianships"
- "Medicaid Hot Topics for Estate Planners"
- "Ohio Trust Code"
- "Medicare Modernization Act of 2005"
- "Special Needs Trusts and the UTC"
- "Ohio Trust Code Revisited"
- "Drafting Special Needs Trusts: Planning for the Future"
- "Trust Reformations"
- "The Ohio Uniform Trust Code"
- "Special Needs Trusts"
- "Medicare Modernization Act of 2003"
- "Creditors’ Rights, Spendthrift Trusts, and Special Needs Trusts"
- "New Uniform Acts Affecting Elder Law"
- "Total Return Trusts"
- "Medicaid: Long Term Care Benefits"
- “Medicaid: Applications and New Rules”
- "Medicaid: Planning for Long Term Care Using Public Benefits"
- "Conservation Easements Under Ohio and Federal Law"
- "Valuation Case Update"
- "Advanced Estate Planning Techniques"
- "Family Limited Partnerships: Practical Responses to Recent IRS Attacks"
Courts and Bar Associations:
- Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Ohio
- Licensed to Practice Law in the State of Florida
- United States Tax Court
- American Bar Association, served as a vice chair in the Trusts & Estates Division, and as co-chair of the Long-Term Care, Medicaid and Special Needs Trust Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association: Estate Planning Probate & Trust Law Council
- Florida Bar Association
- Stark County Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Member: Special Needs Alliance
- Member Editorial Board: The Probate Law Journal of Ohio
- Member of the advisory board: Wealth Transfer Planning
Honors and Awards:
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2001
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for Trusts and Estates in the Akron area, 2012, 2016
- Listed in Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
- AV® rating in Martindale Hubbell
- Recipient of the “Excellence in Writing Award” by the American Bar Association
- Elected to the Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP) of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys