David E. Butz
Mr. Butz is a director of Krugliak, Wilkins, Griffiths & Dougherty Co., L.P.A. and is co-chair of the Litigation Section. He has also served as Chair of the Marketing Committee at the firm. Mr. Butz devotes a majority of his practice to litigation matters including commercial and business disputes, domestic relations, construction litigation, personal injury litigation (plaintiff and defense), oil and gas matters.
- Personal Injury Litigation (plantiff & defense)
- Business and Corporate Litigation
- Domestic Relations
- Construction Law
- Oil and Gas Litigation
- First chair representation in complex business, construction and tort litigation, including handling jury trials and other dispute resolution proceedings and commercial arbitration, along with appellate practice in both state and federal courts
- Counsels and advises producers and drillers involved in the oil and gas industry, including litigation before both state and federal courts in Ohio
- Initiates and/or defends lawsuits for declaratory judgment (including under the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act and the Ohio Marketable Title Act), and claims for the slander of title, adverse possession, and contractual disputes involving oil and gas leases and related claims
- David serves as a mentor in the Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, training new lawyers in the fundamental skills and core values of professionalism essential to the practice of law
- Bethany College of West Virginia, B.A., 1984
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1987
Notable Presentations or Publications:
- "Child and Spousal Support"
- "Getting the Best Financial Settlement for your Divorce Client in Ohio"
- "Time Management for Lawyers"
- "Hot Topics in Liability"
- “Intentional Tort”
- “Intentional Tort Reform”
- “Right to Cure Laws”
- "Protest in the Workplace - The Kaepernick Effect"
- Ohio, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth District, 1988
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Stark County Bar Associaton - Executive and Courts Commttee (past); Pro Bono Committee (current)
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Community Legal Aid - Board Member & Treasurer
- St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church - Finance Committee Chair (past) and member (current)
- Rotary Club of Canton, Member (past)
- The ARC of Stark County, Member (past)
- ArtsinStark - Board of Directors (past)
- Siffrin Residential Association, Board of Directors & President (past)
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Ribs Burnoff Festival Chairman (past)
- Leadership Stark County, Sixth Graduating Class
Honors & Awards:
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Named as Best Lawyers in America® "Lawyer of the Year" in Family Law Akron Area (2015)
- Elected As a Fellow: Ohio State Bar Foundation, 2014
- Ohio Supreme Court accepts Wendt v. Dickerson, A Case Concerning Ohio's Dormant Mineral Act
- Fifth District Court of Appeals' Opinion Upholds Automatic Operation of 1989 Dormant Mineral Act
- 1989 Court Decision Ruling of Dormant Mineral Act
- Ohio Trial Court Rules 1989 Version of Dormant Mineral Act
- Home Construction Service Suppliers Act