Karen Soehnlen McQueen
Karen is a director of Krugliak, Wilkins, Griffiths & Dougherty Co., L.P.A. with a practice that focuses on areas of employment litigation and labor, representing employers in all labor matters throughout widely diversified industries.
- Advocates for employers in State and Federal Courts, including the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission
- Serves as a mediator or arbitrator in many disputes
- Frequent presenter to business and community groups regarding various labor issues including discrimination, sexual harassment and family medical leave
- Ohio Northern University, B.S. B.A. Degree in Economics and Management, 1981
- Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude 1984; named to the Order of the Coif, former editor-in-chief of the Law Journal
Notable Presentations and Publications:
- "Family Medical Leave: Continuing Challenges"
- "New Regulation: GINA & American with Disabilities Act Compliance"
- "Employment Law for Supervisors"
- "Conducting Internal Investigations"
- "Discrimination & Unlawful Sexual Harassment"
- "Employment Issues"
- “Isn’t Showing Up a Requirement of the Job?: Managing Employee Leaves”
- "Department of Transportation: Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use & Testing
- "Fair Housing and Harassment Issues"
- “Practical Issues in Implementing Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)”
- “Current Issues In FMLA, Equal Pay Act & Intern Rules”
- "What is Workplace Harassment?"
- "Unlawful Harassment and FMLA"
- “GINA RULES [Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act of 2008, Final Rules Effective January 2011]”
Courts and Bar Associations:
- Ohio, 1984
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1984
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2004
- Stark County Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Aultman College, Chair and Member, Board of Directors
- Stark Community Foundation, Member, Board of Directors
- United Way of Stark County, Past Board Member
- Holy Cross Academy, Member, Board of Directors
- Aultman Women's Board
- Litigation Council, Fellow
- Former Board Member: Aultman Health Foundation
- Former Board Member: Canton Symphony Orchestra
- Former President and former Board Member: Girl Scouts of Northeast Ohio
- Past President & Former Board Member: Junior Achievement of Stark County
- Leadership Stark County, 3rd Graduating Class
Honors & Awards:
- AV Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Ohio Super Lawyers® 2008-current
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2007-current
- Listed as Best Lawyers 2015, 2017, 2020 Employment Law Management "Lawyer of the Year" - Akron area
- Listed as Best Lawyers 2018 Labor Law Management "Lawyer of the Year - Akron Area
- Listed as Best Lawyers 2012 Litigation - Labor & Employment “Lawyer of the Year” – Akron area
- Listed as one of the Top 50 women in the state - Ohio Super Lawyers® (2010-2012, 2014-2016)
- Listed as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the state - Ohio Super Lawyers® (2016)
- Listed as one of the Top 25 Women Cleveland Lawyers® (2009)
- Selected a Leading Lawyer in the northeast Ohio region by Inside Business Magazine (2010)
- Fellow in Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Recipient of the Canton Jaycees Distinguished Service Award
- Congress Does Not Extend Mandatory Paid Leave Under FFCRA But Allows Tax Credits to Employers Voluntarily Providing Paid Leave Through March 31, 2021
- Sexual Harassment in the News - Are You Prepared?
- Federal Judge Blocks Rule Requiring Overtime For Salaried Employees Earning Under $47,476.00
- Increased Penalties for Violations of Federal Employment Law Posting Requirements Effective July 5